I wanted to write about the difference between a food intolerance and a food allergy and what living with a food allergy is like.
A food intolerance is unpleasant, with symptoms such as an upset tummy and vomiting. A food allergy is much more severe and can be life threatening.
Mikey was diagnosed with multiple severe food allergies at 10 months old after eating an extremely small amount of cake and going into anaphylactic shock.
From that day on, our lives changed.
|Mikey as a little dot!|
This was before the days of clear packaging labels, so we had to learn how egg, milk and nuts could be listed and spent hours reading packets to make sure food was safe for him.
Meals out, parties and other social events became a minefield.
Now, nearly 11, Mikey is fantastic with his allergies. He knows how to read packets and ask about food and always refuses anything that could be a 'maybe'. He also always carries a bag with his epipens, piriton and antibacterial hand gel in.
Strangers tell me that it is a "life choice" or that he is a "fussy eater". WRONG.
My son has a life threatening condition and what is considered normal to others (eating), could be a very dangerous situation to him.
I would not wish a severe reaction on anyone and it must be hard to understand the many emotions and the condition itself if you've never seen a loved one react in such a terrible way, but it most definitely is NOT a "life choice."
Frustration/ Rant over!
For more information about food allergies, head over to Allergy UK