As a family, we've never gone trick or treating or been to parties, but I still used to buy costumes for my son, who used to love to be a vampire.
That has all changed though. This year I refuse to buy a costume for my children. I don't believe it's safe anymore.
In the light of the tragedy of Claudia Winkleman's daughter, who last year was badly burnt when her costume was set alight when it caught a candle, I won't put my children through the same thing.
I have seen costumes in supermarkets that say that it conforms to the standards of children's nightwear, which is good, but how safe are they really?
Now, I am one that doesn't believe everything she hears or sees in the press but this morning I watched a report on Halloween costumes on BBC News and was horrified by what I saw.
Children's costumes, which are deemed to be safe, are still igniting within seconds and although some costumes have the same safety tests as children's toys, they can not be quickly discarded like a teddy if they caught fire.
Changes to the safety of Children's Halloween costumes need to be made
Something must be done. Safety standards must be higher.
Why should we put our children in potential danger? We ourselves would not wear something that would set alight so quickly, so why do we think it's okay to let our children?